Curious about the development of Edgewater Glen?
“The name Edgewater Glen is a modern one, created in the early 1970s when residents were forming a neighborhood association and needed a name for their organization that reflected the neighborhood. Glen was chosen because it was the first syllable of two intersecting streets in the neighborhood – Glenlake and Glenwood.
While the name is modern, the sense of being a separate neighborhood is not, and probably goes back as far as the early 1920s or even before. As Edgewater matured in its development west of Broadway, the Edgewater Glen neighborhood became an island of predominately single family homes bounded on the north and south by areas where the housing stock was predominately two-flats and larger buildings. That dynamic is still true today.
Prior to its being subdivided into lots for housing, Edgewater Glen was farmland. West of Glenwood was the northern portion of the farm of Nicholas Kransz, Edgewater’s first non-native American settler, who lived in a house at the northeast corner of Ridge and Clark called Seven-Mile House, reflecting that it was about seven miles from Chicago’s city hall. To the best of our knowledge, it was Edgewater’s first house. East of Glenwood were narrow slices of land running from Glenwood to Broadway that were separately owned.
The east half of Edgewater Glen was subdivided first, beginning in 1890. The first and second subdivisions (in order of their recording with the Cook County Recorder of Deeds) were subdivided by Thomas G. Milsted. The first of Milsted’s two subdivisions included both sides of Glenlake (recorded June 17, 1890). The owners, however, were shown as Isedore Poetke and Charles W. Fullerton. The second included the south side of Hood (recorded December 22, 1890). The third subdivision was called the Brost and Kemper addition to Edgewater. It ran from the south side of Granville down to and including the north side of Hood. It was recorded April 4, 1892. The last of the eastern half subdivisions was by John Lewis Cochran, Edgewater’s founding father. It was called Cochran’s fourth addition to Edgewater and included both sides of Norwood and the north side of Elmdale. It was recorded August 13, 1893. Though called the fourth addition it was actually Cochran’s fifth subdivision – and both his smallest and his last. To complicate matters somewhat, Milsted’s first subdivision was re-subdivided by others later.” read more…
Read more about Edgewater Glen’s history: http://edgeglen.com/history/
40 years worth of Edgewater Glen neighborhood newsletters: http://edgeglen.com/newsletter/